The LWS (Land-Wasser-Schlepper) was an unarmored German military transport vehicle operated by the Kriegsmarine and engineering troops. It was designed for crossing water obstacles and landing troops on shore. Development of the vehicle began as early as 1935, but the assembly of the first series-production LWS vehicles did not begin at the Rheinmetall-Borsig factory until 1940. The first series consisted of seven vehicles, which subsequently underwent extensive testing.
The first-series amphibious vehicles had a relatively spacious crew compartment with large windows, which could be closed with armored covers if necessary, as well as small portholes. Air was supplied to the crew compartment and engine through three shafts that extended above the roof of the crew compartment. The propellers and towing hook were located at the rear of the amphibious vehicle. The drive sprocket was located at the front, and the vehicle was powered by a Maybach HL 108 TRM, the same engine that was used in the Panzer IV. It could reach a speed of 35 km/h on land and 12 km/h in water.
After several improvements, the second series entered production in early 1941, and by March a total of 14 vehicles had been produced. The crew compartment was extensively redesigned: the size of the windows was reduced, the number of portholes was reduced to three per side, the position of the towing hook was changed, and a number of other minor modifications were introduced. Instead of three air shafts, there was now a single larger shaft equipped with forced ventilation. In place of the two smaller shafts previously located at the rear, there was now an open bridge.
These vehicles operated in North Africa, Western Europe, and on the Eastern Front. The amphibious vehicles probably saw little, if any, direct combat, but were used to supply advancing troops, carry out diversionary operations, and cross larger bodies of water. The last records of LWS vehicles date from 1944, when the remaining vehicles were used to supply isolated formations in the Baltic region, East Prussia, and Belgium. One of the amphibious vehicles, numbered “234,” was also captured by the British in North Africa.
LWS-667 was one of the 14 vehicles produced as part of the second series. It initially belonged to the Pionier-Bataillon 627 (mot.) and served on the Eastern Front. At the end of 1941 or early 1942, the vehicle was transferred to the newly formed Pionier-LandungsKp. 778, repainted with the markings shown on the model, and sent to North Africa, where it took part in operations in the Tobruk area. The vehicle was destroyed during the capture of Tobruk on November 11 or 12, 1942.
Model: 1:35 Bronco CB-35015 Land-Wasser-Schlepper (middle production)









No comments:
Post a Comment