23 August, 2010

Panzer I Ausf.A

Germany began developing the Panzer I light tank in 1932, when the Waffenamt issued a requirement for a light tank armed with machine guns. The competition was won by Krupp's prototype, which was given the codename LaS (Landwirtschaftlicher Schlepper – “agricultural tractor”). In July 1934, it entered series production as the LaS Krupp, and in 1935 it was redesignated the Panzerkampfwagen I. A total of 833 Panzer I Ausf.A vehicles were produced by June 1936.

The Panzer I Ausf.A laid the foundation for the conventional layout of German tanks of the period, with the engine located at the rear of the welded hull and the drive sprockets at the front. The crew compartment was located in the center and accommodated two crew members. The driver sat on the left, while the gunner/radio-operator/commander occupied the turret on the right. The four-cylinder Krupp boxer engine produced 57 hp and gave the 5.4-tonne vehicle a top speed of 37 km/h. The manually traversed turret was armed with two 7.92mm MG13 machine guns, with a combined rate of fire of 680 rounds per minute.

The Panzer I first saw combat during the Spanish Civil War in 1936. Until 1939, it was the main tank of the German Panzerwaffe, accounting for 46% of its tank inventory. It was used extensively during the invasions of Poland, France and Norway. The Panzer I was an inexpensive, fast and maneuverable vehicle, but its weak armor and armament meant that it was primarily suited to the infantry-support role and offered protection only against small-arms fire. When used as intended, however, it could still be a reasonably effective combat vehicle. In early 1942, the Panzer I was withdrawn from frontline service and subsequently used by police units and in anti-partisan operations.

The model depicts a Pz.Abt. z.b.V. 40, 3rd Company Panzer I Ausf.A in Norway in June 1940.

More about the model and its construction can be found at this link

Model: 1:35, Tristar 35028s Panzer I Ausf A Limited Clear Edition
+ Friulmodel ATL-20 metal track for Panzer I, Opel Maultier
+ 2x Adlers Nest
ANM-35019B MG13K barrel 'blue steel' finish
+ Legend LF0108 "Dear Mom" (WWII G
erman Soldiers)
+ THRB-05-S Scale hardware 0,5 UNM Threaded Hex Bolt

No comments: